Huge Investment in Microbiome Research
The sequencing of metagenome offers a novel method in diagnosing and treating a wide range of chronic diseases, such as oncology, etc. The metagenome differs from person to person significantly, which is key to its diagnostic potential, due to which the government is investing a large number of funds for microbiome sequencing projects. In 2007, the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded USD 140 million to the Human Microbiome Project, which examines all the microorganisms in the human body. In 2008, the European Commission financed USD 29 million for Metagenomics of the Human Intestinal Tract project (MetaHIT). The Wall Street Journal in 2016, reported that from 2011 to 2015, venture funding in microbiome firms climbed by 458.5% to USD114.5 million. About USD 616.9 million was raised for microbiome companies in 2016, which is more than all of the venture investment in the microbiome space between 2011 to 2015 period. Also, rising demand for NGS, surge in genomic research, and widening application area of microbiome sequencing, and a decline in the cost of sequencing are the major factors driving the growth of the market.
Lack of Skilled Technicians for NGS Data Analysis
Lack of technicians in the interpretation of sequencing data is the major factor restricting the growth of the microbiome sequencing services market. Microbiome sequencing generates a huge amount of data, which needs to be interpreted using advanced software. The lack of awareness and knowledge of advanced tools of data analysis among physicians and scientists is the major factor restricting the growth of the global microbiome sequencing services market. Further, government regulations and ethical & legal issues related to NGS are the also restraining the growth of the microbiome sequencing services market.
North America to Dominate the Microbiome Sequencing Services Market
The microbiome sequencing services market is segmented by technology type, application, end user, and geography. By geography, it is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Middle East & Africa, and South America.
North America dominates the microbiome sequencing services market, owing to factors, such as government support through funds for genomics research, consistent developments in sequencing technologies, and ease in availability of commercial solutions for NGS data analysis. Asia-Pacific is also expected to grow tremendously during the forecast period, owing to growing number of research studies on cancer and inherited rare diseases, and rising demand for next-generation sequencing for diagnosis and therapeutic applications.
Key Developments in the Microbiome Sequencing Services Market
• November 2017: MicroBiome Therapeutics, LLC launched first microbiome modulator. The product is described as an all-natural blend of prebiotics, including fermentable fiber and polyphenol antioxidants, in a patent-pending blend intended to help nurture and nourish beneficial microorganisms in the lower gut.
• June 2017: Zymo Research Corp. launched new kits for Microbiome Research at ASM Microbe 2017.
Major Players: CLINICAL MICROBIOMICS A/S, BASECLEAR B.V., EPIBIOME, MICROBIOME INSIGHTS INC., MICROBIOME THERAPEUTICS, LLC., MR DNA, MERIEUX NUTRISCIENCES CORPORATION, UBIOME, INC., ZYMO RESEARCH CORP., and SECOND GENOME, among others
Reasons to Purchase Microbiome Sequencing Services Market Report
• Current and future global microbiome sequencing services market outlook in the developed and emerging markets
• Analysis of various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
• The segment that is expected to dominate the market
• Regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period
• Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
• 3-month analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Microbiome Sequencing Services Market Report
• This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- By product type
- By End User/Applications
- By Technology
- By Region