Rising health concerns, regarding the harmful effects of table sugar, and growing prevalence of lifestyle diseases, like diabetes and heart diseases, have driven people to opt for healthy alternatives like artificial sweeteners. Aspartame and sucralose are the common additives used to sweeten a range of products in food & beverage industry. The global soft drink industry is poised to consume the maximum amount of aspartame.
The food & beverage industry is increasingly replacing sugar or corn syrup with non-nutritive sweeteners. High demand from soft drink and confectionery industries is expected to act as a growth driver for artificial sweeteners market. Diet beverages and low-sugar food for diabetic and diet-conscious consumers are anticipated to be the demand drivers, during the forecast period.
Regulatory approvals by Food & Drug Authority (FDA) and European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) to sweeteners, such as aspartame, Ace-K, and saccharin, are also expected to fuel the demand from end-use industries.
The US Food and Drug Administration has approved aspartame, acesulfame-k, neotame, cyclamate and alitame for use as per acceptable daily intake (ADI) value. But, breakdown products of these sweeteners have controversial health and metabolic effects. On the other hand, rare sugars are monosaccharides and have no known health effects because it does not metabolize in our body, but shows same sweet taste and bulk property as sugar.
The global artificial sweeteners market is segmented, based on product type, into nutritive (aspartame) and non-nutritive (acesulfame k, saccharin, sucralose, and neotame). Moreover, the market, based on application, is segmented into bakery items like pastries, cookies, dairy products, confectioneries, beverages, and ‘others’. Geographically, the market is segmented into North America, South America, Asia-Pacific, Europe, and Africa.
Saccharin is an oldest artificial sweetener, which is 200 to 700 times sweeter than sugar. Acesulfame-K is not metabolized by the body, which means that no calories are absorbed when consumed. It shows 200 times sweetness than sugar.
The use of artificial sweeteners in developed countries like North America and Europe has declined, due to the decreased soft drink consumption. However, regions like Asia-Pacific and the Middle East are expected to drive the market growth. Artificial sweeteners are regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) before they can be made available for sale in North American region. High investments in affordable food products, along with rising consumer’s consciousness in developing economies, is expected to provide great opportunities to producers and manufacturers. The increasing use of artificial sweeteners in Asia-Pacific owes to the consumers’ preference shift towards convenience foods.
MAJOR PLAYERS: WHOLE EARTH SWEETENER, ACH FOOD, MADHAVA SWEETENERS, CARGILL. INC., BEIJING VITASWEET CO. LTD., AJINOMOTO CO. INC. , NUTRASWEET COMPANY, CUMBERLAND PACKING, MERISANT COMPANY and TATE & LYLE PLC, amongst others.
Reasons to Purchase this Report
• Analyzing outlook of the market with the recent trends and Porter’s five forces analysis.
• Market dynamics, which essentially consider the factors that are impelling the present market scenario, along with growth prospects of the market over the forecast period.
• Market segmentation analysis, including qualitative and quantitative research, incorporating the impact of economic and non-economic aspects.
• Country-level analysis, integrating the demand and supply forces that are influencing the growth of the market.
• Competitive landscape involving the market share of major players, along with the key strategies adopted for development over the past five years.
• Comprehensive company profiles, covering the product offerings, key financial information, recent developments, SWOT analysis, and strategies employed by the major market players.
• 3 months analyst support along with the Market Estimate sheet (in excel).
Customization of the Report
• This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our representative, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- By product type
- By End User/Applications
- By Technology
- By Region